Wednesday 18 July 2012

Jiffy Bag Watch 1


Well, the first of my online purchases since this journal began has arrived this morning and I have decided to share with you my excitement as the postie popped a tell-tale jiffy-bag through my door.

On opening said bag, I discover that the first to arrive is actually the third on my reading list:

The Journal with Other Writings by John Woolman

The book is an Everyman Edition of the text, published approx. 1909-10 by J.M. Dent & Sons Ltd. of London.
4 1/2" x 7" hardcover with grey-green cloth, this book is number 402 of the Everyman Library and bears the original end-papers.
Binding is a tad loose, but tight enough to be practical.  There is a little discolouration to the page edges and minimal creasing to a few pages, but otherwise it is in pretty good nick considering it only cost me £4.75 including postage.



I have to admit, I had no idea who John Woolman was, but a quick Wiki granted this knowledge:

"John Woolman (October 19, 1720 – October 7, 1772) was a North American itinerant Quaker preacher who traveled throughout much of British North America and in England, advocating against cruelty to animals, economic injustices and oppression, conscription, military taxation, and particularly slavery and the slave trade....
The Journal of John Woolman is not only considered to be an important spiritual document, but also a classic in English literature, as shown by its inclusion in the Harvard Classics. It is reportedly the longest-published book in the history of North America other than the Bible, having been continuously published since before the 1776 revolution."

Fascinating stuff I think you'll agree!  I look forward to reading what this chap had to say.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your blog. I just landed up in your blog and I really appreciate your blog. It is full of resourceful information.

    you can be confident that these Jiffy Bagsjiffy bags are tried and tested, protecting millions of products every day.

    ReplyDelete